Based at State Support Office, Lewisham NSW
Generous salary packaging benefits
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hands up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
About the Service
The Policy Section is responsible for working with the Executive, both within the State Support Office and the Central Councils, and the State Council to develop and implement programs of work and campaigns to support the Society’s government relations activities and the promotion of social justice and equality.
The Policy Manager is responsible for researching current and emerging issues and trends in social policy and manage assigned projects and programs to deliver strategic policy initiative. The key objectives of the role include:
- Set the strategic direction for and lead the implementation of the organisational policy framework to support the ethos, mission and vision of the Society and aligns to the Society’s Our Society, Our Plan Strategic Plan 2013-2018.
- Develop and provide strategic policy advice to the Executive Director, Executive Secretariat and other Executive members on all matters relating to social justice and public policy in areas of interest to the Society. The Manager will lead effective consultation and collaboration processes to ensure key stakeholders are engaged in the policy development, implementation and review process.
- Lead innovation in the development, implementation and maintenance of a research program to develop social policy initiatives to ensure there is an alignment to the Society’s strategic plan and other related corporate plans.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Society’s Social Justice Committee.
This role will report to the Executive Director, Executive Secretariat. Please click here for a copy of the Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Tertiary qualification(s) in a relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated extensive experience in policy development and implementation in the not-for-profit or government sector.
- Desire to promote and model the ethos and Mission of the Society in all interactions with staff, members, volunteers and the broader community.
- Proven ability to form partnerships and collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- High level strategic thinking skills, including the capacity to exercise sound judgement and develop innovative solutions to complex issues.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, particularly in writing policy and related documents, research papers and in delivering presentations.
- Thorough understanding of stakeholder consultation planning and execution, using high level analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience in working with Government and across all political parties to influence policy outcomes.
- High level skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet Explorer and Outlook.
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
- Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
- Generous salary packaging benefits to employees where a portion of take-home pay is tax-free.
- In addition to excellent learning and development programs, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide opportunities to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
- Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Joanne Yates (Executive Director, Executive Secretariat), quoting job number and position title: Policy Manager / VIN960
Applications close at 11:30 pm on 17June 2018
Please submit your application attaching your Resume including your
responses to the Essential Criteria outlined in the attached Position Description.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.