Public Policy Officer
Permanent, full-time 37.5 hours per week
- Must have the capacity to work weeknights and weekends as may be required
Based at State Support Office, Lewisham NSW
- Generous salary packaging benefits
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hands up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
The Public Policy Officer is responsible for the development of research and public policy analysis. It seeks to improve St Vincent de Paul Society's understanding of the causes of inequities, poverty and disadvantage in New South Wales. The role will report to the Executive Director- Executive Secretariat and will supervise the Community Engagement Officer - Social Justice. The position will work closely with other teams including:
- The Outcomes and Evaluation team
- The People and Culture team
- Support Services and Amelie Housing
- Fundraising and Communications
- staff, volunteers and members as relevant
Please click here for a copy of the Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A relevant degree such as: Social Science, Politics, Social Work, Community Development, Social Policy; Law
- Experience undertaking research in social policy or related field
- Experience managing research partnerships
- Experience building relationships with external organisations
- Rigorous analytical skills
- Good understanding of the NSW political structures and the community sector in NSW
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Willingness to work weeknights and weekends
- Willingness to work within the philosophy and ethos of the Society
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
- Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
- Generous salary packaging benefits to employees where a portion of take-home pay is tax-free.
- In addition to excellent learning and development programs, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide opportunities to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
- Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Joanne Yates (Executive Director - Executive Secretariat) firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job number and position title: Public Policy Officer/VIN958.
Applications close at 11:30 pm on 14 June 2018
Please submit your application attaching your Resume and your
responses to the Essential Criteria outlined in the Position Description.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.