Senior Youth Engagement Specialist
Full-time, permanent; with rotating on-call roster
Based at Bowral Youth Refuge, Bowral NSW
- Current Driver Licence is required
SCHCADS Level 5, hourly rates from $35.78
Be part of a team of dedicated Youth Workers and Case Workers that support youth/young people who are at risk of homelessness. A chance to create innovative ways of working with youth and planning programs.
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hands up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
About the Service
Bowral Youth Refuge is a specialist homeless service that provides emergency crisis accommodation and support to homeless youth aged 12 – 25 years, who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless. The refuge operates 24 hours a day, seven days per week to provide safe and secure accommodation for homeless youth.
The Senior Youth Engagement Specialist is primarily responsible for the daily running of Bowral Youth Refuge and will ensure effective development, coordination and implementation of community, educational and life skills programs provided by the service.
The key responsibilities of the role will include but are not limited to:
- supervising/leading a team of youth workers
- management and coordination of all aspects of onsite accommodation services provided to its clients
- administrative duties e.g. overseeing the financial resources (profit and loss review); implementation of relevant policies and procedures, etc
This role will report to the Regional Manager - Supported Accommodation and Case Management. For more information about this role, please click here for a copy of the Position Description.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A bachelor degree or higher in social work, youth work or related discipline
- Demonstrated experience working with young people who are at risk or experiencing homelessness
- Strong ability to actively and assertively engage young people with complex needs
- The ability to respond to young people presenting with mental health and alcohol and other drug issues
- Experience in supervisory and leadership roles and understanding of administrative, accountability and data management processes
- Demonstrated strong communication skills (written and oral), including experience in dealing with vulnerable or disadvantaged people and/or those with complex or challenging behaviours
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of community engagement/support programs targeted at youth
- Capacity to adhere to the ethos and vision of the St Vincent de Paul Society
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong administration skills – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint (Intermediate minimum)
- Current NSW driver’s licence
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
- Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
- Generous salary packaging benefits to employees where a portion of take-home pay is tax-free.
- In addition to excellent learning and development programs, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide opportunities to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
- Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check.
If you have questions about this role, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job number and position title: Senior Youth Engagement Specialist (Bowral Youth Refuge) / VIN937.
Applications close at 11:30 pm on 28 May 2018
Please submit your application attaching your Resume and your
responses to the Essential Criteria outlined in the Position Description.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.