Community Activities Coordinator
Mt Druitt, NSW
- Full-time position based at Caroline Chisholm Centre for Social Justice in Mount Druitt, NSW
- May require travel to locations within Western Sydney
- Involves one evening shift (7 pm - 11 pm) per month
- Current NSW Driver’s Licence
About the Organisation
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a member and volunteer based organisation that has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has close to 100 Special Works across the State in the areas of homelessness, mental health, disability, financial counselling, supported accommodation, food provision, refugees and migrants and addiction counselling. Our work is funded by all levels of government, the generous support we receive from the community and our 250 Retail Centres across NSW.
The Society’s Mission, Vision, Aspiration, and Key Values http://www.vinnies.org.au/page/About/Mission__Vision .
The Parramatta Central Council
The Parramatta Central Council of the St Vincent de Paul Society NSW (PCC) covers a large area from Parramatta to Blackheath, Warragamba to Richmond taking in a number of Local Government areas. With as many as 100 cultures represented in the area, the demand for assistance is growing and diverse in nature. PCC is divided into 5 Regional Councils: 47 Conferences; 480 Conference members; 22 Vinnies Stores, 4 Special Works (including pathways to education, social work, advocacy and other programs) and over 1600 volunteers.
The Caroline Chisholm Centre for Social Justice is an emergency relief, assessment and referral service (Monday – Friday from 9am – 3pm), offering a range of support and services to the people in the Mt Druitt region and larger community. The Centre aims to provide services that support people to avoid becoming homeless and achieve stability in their lives.
The Community Activities Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of Caroline Chisholm Centres Community Activities and Programs. This includes engagement and supervision of volunteers and team members to ensure provision of community services and the development of positive community partnerships to support our work. Read more about this role.
To be successful in this role, you will need
- Relevant Tertiary qualifications and experience in relevant field including, social and community services or community development.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- Project coordination experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the community sector, social justice issues in Australia such as homelessness.
- Group facilitation skills and/or experience in the facilitation of community group activities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work outside of hours intermittently, including the Vinnies Van (monthly)
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Driver’s Licence
What we offer
- By joining one of Australia’s largest and leading charities, you will be working in an organisation which makes a real difference to people’s lives.
- The St Vincent de Paul Society NSW is proud to offer generous salary packaging benefits to employees where a portion of take-home pay is tax-free.
- Training and development opportunities
The conditions of employment are governed by the Social Community Home Care & Disability Services Award (SCHCADS). The position is classified as Level 5 and hourly rate range from $35.78 to $37.78 depending on qualifications.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks that include two (2) reference checks, a Health Declaration and National Criminal History Check. You will also be required to present evidence of right to work in Australia.
The Society is committed to being a Child Safe organisation. Prior to employment, you will be required to have a Working with Children Check, further information can be found in the Society’s commitment to Safeguarding Children & Young People .
How to Apply:
Applications will include the following:
- A cover letter with Claims to the Essential Criteria:
Please explain how your skills, qualifications and experience meet the Essential Criteria. Also provide information on why you are applying for this role.
- Current curriculum vitae: This will include your qualifications & trainings; work history with a brief description of duties for each role; Referees - at least two (2) e.g. persons you report to who can comment on your work experience. Please provide name and contact details (work and mobile phone numbers; email address). Or please be prepared to provide details when requested.
To apply, follow the prompts below - answer the questions and attach your documents.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Brigitte Lees (Manager - Caroline Chisholm Centre) Brigitte.firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Community Activities Coordinator / VIN828. Questions about the application process, email to email@example.com.
Applications close at 11:30 pm on 25 February 2018
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The Society is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.