Permanent, full-time 38 hours per week
Based at Matthew Talbot Hostel, Woolloomooloo NSW
SCHCADS Level 4, hourly rates range from $32.14 to $35.18
- Flexibility to work on weekends if required
- An opportunity to directly support the delivery of the Society’s Mission and Vision
- A challenging opportunity to make a real difference
What we do
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a leading provider of community support services and has been assisting people experiencing disadvantage in NSW for more than 130 years. Our people reach out to the most vulnerable in our community through our Conferences, Special Works and Vinnies shops. The Society’s mission is to shape a more just and compassionate society by offering a ‘hands up’ approach to people in need respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
About the Service
The St Vincent de Paul Society New South Wales Support Services are located in the inner city of Sydney and offer crisis accommodation and post-crisis community support. The Support Services is a Special Work of the St Vincent De Paul Society. Matthew Talbot Hostel (MTH) provides accommodation for 98 men and a range of day service for clients and visiting men, including those who sleep rough or live in nearby boarding houses and public housing. Many of the clients have mental health and substance abuse issues.
The Pastoral Carer provides spiritual and pastoral care services to people we assist ( PWA’s), guests and staff of MTH in accordance with the spirit, mission and ethos of the Society, including coordination of the Sunday services and working with the Sunday volunteer pastoral care team.
The role does this through maintaining strong and trusting working relationships with relevant client service managers communicating the benefits of the provision of pastoral and spiritual care services and assisting in identifying PWA’s, guests or staff that may be offered specific pastoral/spiritual care interventions. The role is required to engage and collaborate with relevant internal stakeholders, including the MTH case management team, Clinic and support workers, ensuring the delivery of a sustainable model of pastoral care.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Qualifications and/or demonstrated skills and experience in pastoral counselling or related field, at a minimum one basic unit of clinical pastoral education accreditation
- Strong commitment to the philosophy, ethos and mission of the St Vincent de Paul Society as a lay Catholic organisation, and of Matthew Talbot Hostel as a Special Work of the Society
- An understanding of the importance of the Mass in the Catholic Tradition
- Ability to lead (or as minimum, support the lead of) a Communion Service
- Demonstrated understanding of the key client group of the Service and an ability to treat all residents of the Service with respect and dignity in an empathetic and compassionate manner.
- Strong written and verbal communication and inter-personal skills
- Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and interests
- Commitment to the Spirit and Spirituality of the St Vincent de Paul Society NSW
- Able to work weekends if required
Come and join our team!
We believe our employees are key to our success and in return we offer:
- Job satisfaction working as part of a team making a difference to people’s lives in an organisation that cares about people.
- Generous salary packaging benefits to employees where a portion of take-home pay is tax-free.
- In addition to excellent learning and development programs, as a large purpose driven organisation we provide opportunities to grow your career across a range of teams and services.
- Supportive, friendly and values driven team environment and culture.
Prior to an offer of employment, preferred candidates will be required to complete the pre-employment checks including reference checks, a Police check, Working with Children check, Health Declaration and/or a medical check, Right to work in Australia check. The Society is committed to being a Child Safe organisation, further information can be found in the Society’s commitment to Safeguarding Children & Young People.
If you have questions about this role, please email to Joy Bowen (Pastoral Care Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job number and position title: Pastoral Carer (MTH) / VIN1052.
Applications close at 11:30 pm on 15 August 2018
Please submit your application attaching your Resume including your
responses to the Essential Criteria outlined in the attached Position Description.
St Vincent de Paul Society (NSW) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. The Society strongly encourages applications from people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and mature aged applicants.